Since 2003, Humanities Tennessee has offered a scholarship program for the Tennessee Association of Museums' (TAM) annual conference held every March. This initiative stems from our commitment to provide opportunities for professional and organizational development of Tennessee's museums and their humanities programming.
The scholarships are available to volunteers without museum-related backgrounds who work for a nonprofit museum or organization that is starting a museum, and that has no paid professional staff. Each scholarship provides two nights lodging and conference registration fees for up to two people from each applicant organization.
Over the past fifteen years 278 individuals from 109 organizations across the state have attended the TAM conference on this scholarship. Once introduced to the museum community by this program, many organizations remain TAM members and continue to attend each year without a scholarship.
The following fourteen volunteers received scholarships for the 2017 conference:
- Alisha Weber & Bo Ashlin, Reelfoot Lake State Park, Tiptonville
- Ann Gaines & Greg High, Granville Museum
- Bob Holliday, Johnsonville State Historic Park, New Johnsonville
- James Wilkinson, Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park, Millington
- Jennifer Flanagan & Suzanne Geerholt, Historic Rock Castle, Hendersonville
- George Hartz & Don Dowdey, Pleasant Hill Historical Society
- Marisa Dore & Candi Driver, Promise Land Community Club, Charlotte
- Cynthia Killian & Justin Morgan, Grundy County Historical Society, Tracy City
Each scholarship covers two nights lodging at the conference hotel, registration fees, and conference meals and evening events.
The feedback we receive from scholarship recipients reflects how valuable they find their first TAM conference. This is their initial exposure to this wider community network, to available resources, and to practical information such as exhibit design, museum governance, and artifact care.
The scholarship program is announced each January, with an application deadline each February. For questions about the program please contact Melissa Davis at Humanities Tennessee by phone, 615-770-0006, ext. 16, or by e-mail, email@example.com. For questions about TAM, please contact Debbie Shaw, TAM coordinator, by phone, 615-495-3354, or email, firstname.lastname@example.org